Alone we are weak, together strong. Or not? In fact, even the best desktop support specialist can not solve each problem on his own. He needs help sometimes.
Each good applicant for this position should know what to do when unable to solve he problem. There are steps he should follow, and you should too:
- Try to solve the problem on your own.
- Look for a solution online, on the support forums.
- Contact more experienced (or specialized) technician from the company and consult him about the problem.
- Contact someone from outside of the company to come and solve the problem.
- Once the problem is solved, make a report on a solution, in order to be able to solve the problem on your own next time.
I interviewed many job applicants who claimed to be able to solve any problem on their own. However, it isn’t a good answer. We all have limits and both hardware and software is evolving quickly. You should be able to admit that you were unable to solve some problem in the past. The key is to show that you know what steps to take and do not give up until the problem is solved.
Once I updated twenty OS at once, using standard Windows Update. However, once I progressed with restarting the machines, the Windows did not start. I have not encountered this problem before and had no idea what to do. Therefor, I searched for the similar problems on the pages of Microsoft support forums, but it was not described there. Finally, I contacted the support at Microsoft directly and after spending some time on the phone, I finally reached the specialist. However, after communicating with him, sending the detailed report of the problem and having a lively discussion, we were unable to identify the base of the problem. As the computers did not start even in a safe mode and the repair mode did not help to overcome the problem, I decided to give up and reinstalled the machines with original version without an update. I learned an important lesson – to never update many computers at once, because critical updates can sometimes cause problems. Since then I always do update on one machine only, and if it is successful I progress to mass operations.
- Describe a time when you went above and beyond of what was expected of you.
- Why Do You Want to Be a Desktop Support Assistant?